Wednesday, August 31

August 31

Though my internship ended almost a week ago, I was still seen today leaving the offices of Japan Canada Oil Sands Ltd. (JACOS), contented and with my arms full. In fact, they were full with assorted computer components and even a laptop; my (now former) boss had them laying around at home and was more than willing to give them to me, a known computer tinkerer.

Yet, one month ago I had left that same office nervous and distressed; could I really live up to their expectations? Would I really feel welcome here? Could I survive to the end of the month? On the first day I was given "the tour" and assigned to the IT department, directly working under and sharing the office of the IT lead. My task had sounded simple: "Inventory," they had said. I thought that all I had to do was to visit supply rooms and count boxes.

Well, I was wrong. Before they hired me, they'd known all about my inclinations towards programming and so they decided to put me to the test. From scratch, I planned, designed and implemented a MySQL database with an MS Access + VBA front-end that would keep track of which employees had what equipment, what software and components were installed on each computer, when equipment leases and licenses expired, etc. This, of course, required me to learn the aforementioned technologies first - but you have to start somewhere, right? I spent the first three weeks either hunched over a keyboard coding, furiously reading, yelling questions across the room, or wandering the office when I'd had enough of the screen; I spent the last week replacing cables and chatting with the employees as I scurried between the three floors populating my database with relevant information.

Though a lot of my learning and work was self-directed, my boss and the other employees were always willing to share their knowledge, expertise and assistance when I asked for it. If I needed reference books or software, the company would put it in my hands within a day or two. I felt my experience there gave me a taste of corporate culture and how technology is used and supported in the business world (which is very different from what hobbyists and enthusiasts do at home).

My internship, like Shad, was another avenue for personal growth and I feel that it was well worth the time.

Julian Salazar
Japan Canada Oil Sands Ltd.
Calgary, AB