Monday, August 22

August 22

My internship company is Nexen Inc., a Canadian-based company with operations all over the world. It is a global leader in oil and gas industry. I really like Nexen’s focus on sustainability, technology, and innovation, I’m grateful to have the privilege to work here.

Today marks the beginning of my last week at Nexen. My day began at 6:30am. Normally I don’t like getting up early but these days I’m eager to get out of bed. When I put on my “business casual” dress, I feel like I’m not a student but a Nexen employee.

I work in the IT Infrastructure Services department. Technology is my favourite so it’s the perfect place for me. I was very excited when my manager showed me around. I was so shocked when I first entered the data center, a huge room with rows and rows of servers. I was also introduced to different units of the department like the Windows, Unix, hardware, and networking units. I had no idea there is so much technology involved in a business. Nexen even has a 3D conference room! Working here definitely opened my eyes to the vast amount of technology in the world. I never realized how big the IT department is and how much responsibility it carries. It’s the IT people who make sure the company runs smoothly. They are the nervous system of the company.

In the past few weeks I’ve been organizing different computers for updates, reformat the networking port lists, and set up windows test labs to test new software. Today I checked for failed hard drives in the data center. It’s not a huge task but it’s crucial that they are replaced as soon as possible to ensure everything runs smoothly. I really enjoy this task.

At lunch, I enjoyed an apple as usual. It’s awesome that Nexen provides fresh fruits for its employees. It’s a great place to work!

Everyone is so nice and knowledgeable, it’s a very welcoming workplace. I learned so much from my managers Kevin Podrasky and Rob McDonald and all my coworkers. My officemate Phil Black plays David Bowie music during lunch hour, I really like him. I would like to thank all of them for making my first job so enjoyable. I wish this internship was not four weeks but four months. I would definitely look forward to working at Nexen again.

Zeyu Liu
Nexen Inc.
Calgary, AB