Medtronic Inc. is at the forefront of biomedical engineering in the research, design and manufacture of instruments that contribute to human welfare. With roughly 40,000 employees worldwide, I am fortunate to be an intern at a global leader that empowers the development of medical technology that restores the health of millions of patients.
Today marks the 8th day of my internship and my work pertaining to medical technology assessment. I primarily work with the Director of Medical Technology Assessment in the analysis of the economic value and health benefits of current and upcoming medical devices developed by Medtronic. I am also focused on cost analysis research, modeling financial projections and general research on upcoming medical devices.
In the initial days of my internship, I acquired data through cost analysis research for a novel instrument known as InterStim. The acquired data was fed into financial projection models to determine the cost-effectiveness of the instrument over an extended period of time. I am currently working on preliminary research for a novel treatment called renal sympathetic denervation.
The politics associated with this research and analysis is what makes this work so engaging. The financial projections are targeted towards the government and intended to prove that despite the initial cost of these instruments, it is more cost-effective in the long term perspective. With this in mind, factors that add to the complexity include the 4 years terms of the government and assortment of other treatment options available. By the end of this internship, my objective is to develop a couple of research abstracts, which may actually get published, and will aid Medtronic in demonstrating the commercial and economic viability of these technologies.
Ultimately, the opportunity to intern at such a reputable company has facilitated experiences which have truly allowed me to acquire insights into the corporate world. With such dedicated co-workers, I have acquired a variety of prominent skills which will be a beneficial prospect in the future. Additionally, I have attained knowledge pertaining to the field of medical technology which has enlightened my perspective towards medicine and medical research.
I would like to thank Medtronic and Shad Valley for this stimulating opportunity and I am irrefutably looking forward to the future endeavors that this internship poses for me!
Dheevesh Arulmani
Medtronic
Mississauga, ON