I have never really had a ‘real job’ before, so I had no idea what to expect when I was offered an internship at Xerox Research Centre of Canada (XRCC). Fortunately, my preconception of menial sedentary photocopying all day everyday was proven false on the first day. I couldn’t possibly imagine the amount of work behind something like a photocopy.
Each Xerox Research Centre worldwide makes a unique and integral contribution to Xerox as a whole. XRCC is the materials research centre where research in toners, inks, photoreceptors and specialty substrates is conducted. I help a supervisor with a new project called Printable Electronics. We have been concentrating on thin-film transistor fabrication and the evaluation using new semiconductor materials. Eventually, this research will be applied to developing low-cost, flexible electronic devices using printing technologies. I was a little nervous because I hadn’t taken anything beyond the first year of physics nor learned about circuits at school, but my supervisor was very patient and not only taught me, but showed me how transistors work.
However, I was not limited to just learning about transistors. The open door policy allows me to learn about the research of other scientists and co-op students such as working with inks and the actual synthesis of the polymers! Even though everyone is so busy, everyone at XRCC is so hospitable and happy to take the time to explain everything from the apparatus they use to each step of the procedures.
It has been absolutely amazing the valuable experiences I have gained here. I did lab work every single day. I have not done a page of paperwork. I operated equipment that third-year university students may not even have the chance to touch every single day. I worked one-on-one with a principal scientist at XRCC who is working to file his 100th patent for a whole month! I am so grateful to everyone at XRCC and Shad Valley for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
Stella Lee
Xerox Research Centre of Canada
Oakville, ON