Tuesday, August 16

August 16

This is my third week as an intern at Move, Inc., a company which operates a network of real estate websites such as REALTOR.com and MOVE.com. These websites are for both consumers as well as real estate professionals.

So far, I have been assigned two projects. The first project is an analysis of Move.com's competitors, or other real estate search engines. However, this was an unusual competitive analysis. This analysis focused more on the visual side of things: how do the design elements on the website relate to the demographic the site targets? How is the website branded? What special features do the websites have to differentiate themselves from the competitor? I am interested in web design, so it was very fascinating to look at websites in-depth and analyze their tools and design.

The second project I’ve been assigned to do is to create a graphic representation of a new concept for the search results page. This is the project I am currently working on, and it is very enjoyable. As I mentioned earlier, I have a personal interest in graphic and web design, so this project is very relevant to my interests.

Aside from working on the projects, I’ve also been able to find out how it would be like to work in an office environment. Attending video conferences and talking to people from an area, taking part in a workshop about career building, snacking in my cubicle at 3:00 – all these experiences have been worthwhile (well, except for maybe the snacking one) in helping me find out about what I want to do in the future. My internship experience has been great so far!

Christalle Chow
Move, Inc.
Richmond, BC