(“ 7am, waking up in the morning
Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs
Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal
Seein’ everything, the time is goin’
Tickin’ on and on, everybody’s rushin’
Gotta get down to the bus stop
Gotta catch my bus, I see my friend…” -- Rebecca Black - Friday)
That is the way that, as students, approximately 80% of our mornings a year start – getting up early and going to school. I was fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity of interning this month with the NB Department of Education. I get to see and work behind the scenes with clean up of the previous year and preparation of this upcoming school year here in NB. I am lucky enough to get the chance to work with different supervisors in different departments, so that I get a little taste of everything.
So far, I have worked on 3 key projects. The majority of my time so far has been spent cleaning up the data and paperwork from last year’s provincial assessments, and that is the main projects that I will have this month. However, I have also gotten to work on a couple of fun little projects on the side. Yesterday, I spent the day at the university, videotaping a speaker doing a grade 9-10 math conference. He was SO passionate about what he was speaking about, and it was fantastic getting to listen to him. It was a very new experience for me, but I enjoyed every minute of it. This afternoon, after more assessment work this morning, I got the chance to work on a fun artsy project. I, along with another volunteer, got to work on scrapbooking journal covers, all relating to a different topic. The goal is that the covers will inspire the students to get writing on the provided topic. Projects like these are right in my ball-park, and so I really enjoyed working on that - it was honestly so much fun.
I have only been with them for four days and have already gotten to work on three very different projects and so I can’t wait to see what they have in store for me for the next three weeks!
The people that I am working with are all fantastic. They are kind, and always helpful. I couldn’t have asked for better people to get to spend my summer with. I am so blessed to have gotten this opportunity and I can’t wait for the remainder of this learning experience, and what the NB Department of Education has in store for me! I wish everyone the best with the remainder of their internships and a good end to their summer. God bless!
Anneke Latouche
NB Education
Fredericton, NB