This summer, after Shad Valley ended, I was hired as an intern at Enermodal Engineering. Enermodal is the largest green building consulting firm in Canada so essentially, what they do is the help construct or renovate buildings so that they can achieve the Canadian or US LEED standards.
Today, I was dropped off at work bright and early. As usual, seeing the beautiful office that Enermodal has in Kitchener was shocking. It was built to achieve Platinum LEED status, and overlooks the Grand River in Kitchener. I hastily ran upstairs to the third floor where my cubicle is located and I went straight to work. The project that was assigned to me today was huge, and my supervisor had told me that they had wanted to do this for about 9 years now. The project I'm working on currently is data basing all of their past projects. My area of focus was the energy distribution among each building meaning where does the energy go in each room?
After working on this for about three days, I had finished and went to ask my supervisor for new work. He then got me started on my next project which was data basing the electricity consumption of various buildings. All in all, today, as well as my other days at Enermodal Engineering helped me cultivate new skills and opened myself to a whole new experience.
Victoria Xie
Enermodal Engineering
Waterloo, ON