Wednesday, August 17

August 17

Ideal Job Checklist:
• Passionate about the work
• Friendly people
• Comfortable working environment
• Interesting
• Learning new things
• Encourages growth
• Challenging

My internship with the Research and Development Corporation, RDC, succeeded in matching any expectations I had. The checklist offered it no competition! What’s more, it went beyond anything I could have imagined prior to starting off. Like everyone else, I had hoped for an internship I could look forward to everyday. Something that was in my area of interest. Something “life-changing”, which would truly open my eyes and motivate me further. Who knew I would get so lucky!

Research and Development Corporation is a research organization that prioritizes areas of development in the province, and funds projects and research performers to encourage growth.
What am I doing? My projects will be focused on Medical R&D!!! Why so excited you may be wondering? Remember that section above; highlighting the importance of working on something you are passionate about? It so turns out that in my case, this passion is medicine. Medical research has always been an area of great interest to me. When I was told that I would have the chance to do background research in this area, I was ecstatic!

I have been given a wide variety of tasks, to expose me to different aspects of R&D. From making statistic tables to represent expenditures in the field, to reading about what the top researchers in Canada are researching, and trying to prioritize possible areas to fund, I have certainly learned a lot! Currently, I am working on two projects. One is a detailed look into the health care system. The other is research into regenerative medicine and its potential to cure diseases. This particular area has truly inspired me and I cannot wait to learn even more about it!
My co-workers have all played an essential role in making sure I am well adapted and getting the most out of the experience. Joe, who has guided me throughout the entire process, offered the right amount of support and encouragement to make me feel comfortable in my new work environment.

I feel so lucky to have been able to continue my learning experience beyond Shad. My internship has given me a new perspective and a sense of understanding for things I would have otherwise not appreciated. In just a couple of weeks, I have opened my mind to new knowledge and feel sincerely improved by the opportunity. I am more motivated and inspired to reach new goals. The learning journey is eternally ongoing.

Ioana Dobre
Research and Development Corporation
St. John’s, NL