Monday, August 22

August 19

Today I arrived at Kelk at 7:50 A.M., as I usually do, and began to work on one of my long-term projects: collecting information from the company units and updating the asset inventory. Alongside this task, I am currently innovating the company asset tracking system through introducing a QR Code tag labeling system to track all their hardware more efficiently. Though it may not seem like a glorious task; by going to all three hundred computers in these few buildings and collecting data, it helped me learn about where things are, and allowed me to meet all the people using the computers.

During this process, I discovered the workers here are very kind and helpful when trying to locate someone or something or complete a task. Kelk is also rated one of fifty best managed organizations in Canada. This was most likely awarded to them because of some of the very unique things about this company: Kelk is a very diverse company, it has a base across the world in Shanghai, work hours are lenient and everyone leaves one hour earlier on Fridays, and every Friday there are free donuts in the break room.

Otherwise, Kelk has been an amazing learning experience for me. I have learned much more about computers and associated devices, and have had the opportunity to "cannibalize" computers, harvest their useful parts, and scrap the remains.

Subsequently, I am a part of the I.S. (information systems) department, and help with company-wide tickets resolving. At this moment amidst all the updating and scurrying from building to building, I am in the middle of printing out QR codes with newly purchased labels for all the units, which I have designed and measured out. Sadly, there is no way to fully automate this process, so I am in fact sitting in front of a printer for hours at a time speeding through label making so I can excitedly follow one of my supervisors to learn from them as they deal with various obstacles that emerge in the IT industry.

Overall, Kelk has been an amazing experiences, and I look forward to spending my next two weeks here.

Daniel Kapustin
Kelk
Toronto, ON