Wednesday, August 3

August 3

Day two is over, and I can already say I’ve learned a lot. My internship is at Ciena, a company specializing in telecommunications networking equipment, a concept I still can’t completely comprehend. I’m working with a group of software developers, though I’m not working at that capacity.

After signing my non-disclosure agreement and receiving my security badge (I feel like a spy! :D), I read up on some of the systems they use; SONET (synchronous optical network), SDH (synchronous digital hierarchy) and OTN (optical transport network). I then did a short course on ESD (electrostatic discharge), laser safety and fibre cleaning. The purpose of this course was to learn the safety procedures for ESD, which allows me to work in their labs. I spent a lot of time in the labs, though I had to be escorted down because my security badge does not give me access. The lab is a really cool place, in both senses of the word. It is heavily air conditioned to keep the cards from overheating, and filled with row upon row of these slots and wires. Today, I took inventory, going through the shelves of cards which this team uses, writing down the location, serial number, PEC number, card type and IP address of each card. I also had the pleasure of attending a department meeting, where the members introduced themselves. I got a neat insight into the workings of the software department, as they updated each other on their progress and shared company updates.

I’m extremely fortunate to be working with such a welcoming group of computer nerds :). I’m very grateful for the opportunity I’ve been given, and I’m looking forward to my month at Ciena, as I’ll be able to see what this industry is like and how it works.

Thea Humphries
Ciena
Ottawa, ON