Fidus Systems Inc. is a company that specializes in electronic product development. The staff works with many clients on many projects to create multi-purpose custom circuit boards. With offices in Ottawa, Toronto, California, and very soon, Kitchener, I am very glad to be working my fourth week with this widespread and influential organization.
I can’t say that I have a typical day because each day is different. For this internship, I am not required to show up at work and bore myself to tears by doing repetitive tasks. Instead, two other 2011 Shads and I are required to work collaboratively towards one ultimate goal, which is to create an open source website for computer boards.
Each week, we have a series of meetings to discuss the progress on our website. We present our PowerPoints and various other files in a boardroom. Being in that setting really makes me feel like I have graduated from school and am working at a prestigious company as an adult. It is an eye-opening experience for me, to feel what it is like to be working in the real world. No matter where I volunteer or who I job-shadow, there is no opportunity that can be more hands-on than this.
Furthermore, aside from simply working alone, I am working as a part of a team. I have a responsibility to put in my best effort both for my fellow Shad colleagues, as well for my supervisors. This is an invaluable experience for me because I can see, day by day, our website coming together and our goal one step closer to being achieved.
As this internship enters into its last weeks, our team, consisting of Evelyn Huang, Bailey Gu, and I, is getting ready to put the final touches onto our website and presentation. Evelyn and I work in the Toronto office and Bailey works in Ottawa. So for the final presentation, we will be making a trip to Ottawa to join Bailey at the Fidus Systems Headquarters. There is no better way to top off an engaging, enriching, and rewarding month than with a business trip!
Louisa Bai
Fidus Systems Inc.
Toronto, ON