I swipe my card and the door unlocks. I walk inside wearing my business-casual outfit with a coffee in one hand and my binder in the other. I hear greetings of good mornings and bright smiles. The York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) might sound like an intimidating work placement but it is actually encompassed with optimistic people who are always buzzing with energy. I am grateful to have this learning opportunity and now, I don’t even mind the forty-five minutes I travel to get there!
My placement is in the department of Instructional Services and I intern for the Research Officer. Every new day at the YCDSB is unexpected and I always have interesting tasks waiting. Today, I entered and verified confidential data onto a spreadsheet. I later analyzed the information and looked for trends to real life applications. I was even able to contribute to a discussion on current affairs. Tomorrow, I was told to dress down because I have a messy task to complete!
I enjoy my internship at the YCDSB because I am in an atmosphere that allows me to feel like a contributing member of the team. I am also treated like a colleague and not an inexperienced high school student.
Each day is a new challenge and when I wake up at six in the morning, I have no regrets on my decision to intern at the York Catholic District School Board. It is my honour to have worked behind the scenes of the schools that this school board services.
Shagana Balasubramaniam
York Catholic District School Board
Aurora, ON