Myplanet Digital is the place to work. The whole place is always alive with eccentric coffee-drinking business types, designers, and engineers. I always look forward to going to work in the morning. Over the past two weeks, my intern buddy, Alex from Shad Lakehead and I have been watching two computer science MIT Opencourseware lectures and doing one assignment everyday. The goal was to learn Python, a programming language that we are going to use along with Django, a web framework. Starting next week, we will be writing a web application. I am very excited for this!
This morning started off with experimenting with Django. This included a lot of debugging code. We were learning how to transfer databases from different projects, and linking templates to information. After lunch, Matt, a Shad alum who has been working at Myplanet for a few months, gave us a session on the basics of using Django. After that, we attended an Illustrator crash course in which almost everyone in the office participated.
So far, I have been enjoying every second of working at Myplanet. Everyone is so friendly and enthusiastic. I’ve taken part of a brainstorming session on one of the whiteboard walls. I’ve also missed both of their after work dinners and an excursion to the AGO, but I am looking forward to the next event. At this internship, I have learned so much in such a short period of time. This experience provides me not only with work experience, but also a chance to develop my work ethic, and the opportunity to work with and learn from others.
Priscilla Yung
MyPlanet Digital
Toronto, ON