Friday, September 2

September 2

After I was accepted as an engineering assistant for the Christie Digital internship, I was sure that I would gain a LOT of experience in engineering. By the end of the month, I was right. I had amassed a whole load of experience by reading up on projector optics at my cubicle and conducting color spectrum experiments. It was difficult the first week because I had no idea how a projector functions, but I did my best and was able to complete my tasks.

On my first day at Christie Digital, I had a tour of the building with my supervisor. I quickly found that Christie Digital is massive! They have several labs, a production floor, a marketing office, an engineering office, workout rooms, and a cafeteria. I was so overwhelmed with the amount of employees and the size of the building. On the first day, my first task was assigned to me and I was working with one of the optics engineers.

My task was to compare 2 new colorimeters with the old colorimeter currently being used within the facility. I had to quickly read up on the color spectrum and luminance to understand the basics and background of my experiments. The Christie Digital environment inspired me to take initiative to complete my tasks. Most of my supervisors were in several meetings every day, so I had to make do with the time and resources I had.

By the end, I had made great friends with university co-op students and gained valuable advice for university after my grade 12 year. I feel that I have gained so much from the Christie Digital experience because it helped me understand a little bit more of the science behind a business and the fast paced and busy environment of a work place. Therefore, I would recommend the summer internship to every Shad student.

Matt Kirby
Christie Digital
Kitchener, ON